- How do I get a furnished apartment with Crocodilian?
- Do I have to pay Crocodilian?
- Are there any hidden costs?
- Can I register with the address of the furnished apartment?
- Do I get the papers for the registration / Anmeldung (Wohnungsgeberbestätigung)?
- Which papers do I need to apply for a furnished flat? Do I need a Schufa?
- Do I need a German bank account in order to rent a furnished flat in Berlin?
- Can I pay the rent and the deposit with credit card?
- How can I pay the rent and the deposit?
- Do I get an invoice for the rent?
- How much is the security deposit?
- Why do I have to pay a security deposit?
- When will the deposit be returned to my account?
- Am I responsible for everything that does not work while I stay at the apartment?
- How can I be sure that the landlord will return the deposit?
- Have all apartments been checked by Crocodilian?
- Can I extend the lease?
- Why should I conclude a liability insurance?
- What are my duties as a tenant?
- How can I compare the housing agency Crocodilian to a platform for short term apartments?
How do I get a furnished apartment? How is the process at Crocodilian?
The process is fast and easy:
- You fill in the application form. Please don’t forget to tell us what you are looking for and which features are important for you.
- You will receive a personal email or a call from us within a few hours (Monday-Friday, 10.00-18.00).
- If you want to rent the apartment or if you would like to arrange a viewing, we introduce you to the landlord. The owners will show you the apartment.
- You conclude the bilingual contract online.
- You transfer the rent and deposit to the account indicated in the rental agreement.
Do I have to pay Crocodilian?
No, there is no commission fee for tenants. Note that asking for fees from tenants, even a small amount, is illegal in Germany. Since 2015, the owner has to pay the fee.
Are there any hidden costs?
No. The rent, indicated on the Crocodilian website, is based on the information that Crocodilian has received from the owner.
You only have to add the costs for final cleaning. Most owners charge by the hour. You can minimize the costs for final cleaning if you take care of your temporary furnished apartment and leave it in good condition.
Yes. Please note that the appointments for the registrations are limited, do it as soon as possible.
Do I get the papers for the registration / Anmeldung (Wohnungsgeberbestätigung)?
Yes. In most cases, Crocodilian will send you the Wohnungsgeberbestätigung, filled in and signed by the landlord. Some landlords prefer to send it themselves.
Which papers do I need to apply for a furnished flat? Do I need a Schufa?
No, you don’t need a Schufa. You only have to send your working contract or proof of income. You have to be in Berlin for working reason or further education.
Do I need a German bank account in order to rent a furnished flat in Berlin?
No. Most tenants get a German bank account after they have registered at the Bürgeramt.
You can transfer the rent and the deposit from any bank account worldwide.
Can I pay the rent and the deposit with credit card?
No, this is not possible.
How can I pay the rent and the deposit?
If you rent an apartment and you want to move in as soon as possible, it is also possible to pay in cash. Please check with the owner or Crocodilian. Don’t forget to make sure that you receive a receipt.
Normally, you pay via bank transfer. The rent hast to be on the account of the owner or Crocodilian on the first or the third of the month.
Do I get an invoice for the rent?
You get an invoice in a hotel, but not when you rent an apartment – either furnished or unfurnished. You always get a rental agreement.
How much is the security deposit?
The deposit is 1-2 monthly rents.
Why do I have to pay a security deposit?
A security deposit is standard in Germany. The landlord has to be sure that you can pay the rent. He also needs the security deposit in case you break anything in the apartment or leave it in a very bad condition
When will the deposit be returned to my account?
According to the contract, you will receive it 30 days after you have moved out at the latest, if nothing has been broken. The costs for final cleaning are deducted from the deposit.
Am I responsible for everything that does not work while I stay at the apartment?
No. If all of a sudden, the TV does not work any more, it is very unlikely that the tenant is responsible. If you put a hot pot on the kitchen worktop and burn it, you will be responsible.
How can I be sure that the landlord will return the deposit?
In Germany, there are strict laws regarding the deposit.
Crocodilian knows all landlords, most of them for years. We always advise owners regarding the deposit. Please make sure that you receive a handover protocol when moving in. You should also notify the landlord in case something does not work etc., no matter if you are responsible or not.
If there are problems regarding the deposit, cleaning is the issue in 95% of all cases. In order to avoid this, you should take care of your furnished apartment and leave it in a good condition.
Have all apartments been checked by Crocodilian?
Yes. We personally check every apartment that it reaches our high standards.
Can I extend the lease?
Yes, you can. Please make sure that you tell us that you need an option to extend the rental agreement before you conclude the contract. Then you have to tell the owner and Crocodilian one month before the contract terminates whether you want to move out or stay.
Why should I conclude a liability insurance?
Liability insurance is the only insurance, apart from health insurance, that you should have. Liability insurance covers all kinds of damages. Some insurances also cover damages in furnished flats.
What are my duties as a tenant?
- you have to look after the apartment, keep it clean and tidy and air it daily (to prevent mould), especially after taking a shower
- you should have a cleaning routine, like reemoving limescale in the bathroom etc.
- you have to pay the rent on the third working day of the month at the latest
- you are not allowed to sublet the furnished flat
- you are not allowed to keep a pet, cat or dog, unless you have a permission from the owner
What is the difference between the housing agency Crocodilian and a platform for apartments?
|Crocodilian vs. Platform|
|All apartments are checked by us||Any owner can register – No check|
|Personal contact throughout the rental period||Only pass you on to the owner|
|We provide support and advice for all of your questions - in several languages||Customer Service has varying levels of qualification, sometimes there isn't a contact person at all.|
|15 years of experience||Mostly start-ups|
|We are in Berlin||Not necessarily in Berlin|